Throwback Tuesday

For Fall Break, my best friends and I came to Las Vegas (more about that next week!) The traveling and sight-seeing we’ve been doing reminded me of my time abroad in Edinburgh, Scotland and how much I missed having adventures everyday. One of my favorite things about being a study abroad coordinator for Bryn Mawr is being able to relive the process and excitement with each of the students I meet and get to advise.

image

Me and a Hairy Coo in the Scottish Highlands

When I think back a year and a half to when I was in the middle of deciding to study abroad, I remember being unsure and anxious. I couldn’t imagine being away from Bryn Mawr, which had become my second home. At first, I thought of it as a semester that I would miss out on at BMC, a semester without my best friends, and a semester across an ocean from everything I knew. Being on this side of my semester abroad however, I can say without a doubt that it was one of the best experiences of my college years and instead of losing out like I feared, I gained more than I could ever relate through words.

image

The Forth Bridge west of Edinburgh

I learned under a different education system with modules and tutors in place of TAs and TA sessions. I experienced life at a large research university smack dab in the middle of one of the most historical and beautiful cities in the world. I learned what it’s like when your largest class has 497 students in it instead of 14. I felt what it was like to leave your comfort zone, face your anxieties, and leave behind everything you know. Above all, I learned that I was stronger than I ever could have imagined, and most importantly that support and love from family and friends, even when thousands of miles away, can get you through anything.

I think back on my time abroad and can’t help but smile. I had the opportunity to try new things, enjoy different foods, and meet some of the most incredible people. I can’t wait to return to Edinburgh and continue to explore more of our beautiful world.

If you’d like to read more about my time abroad, please check out my travel blog, KMA in Scotland. You can find it here!

http://kmainscotland.blogspot.co.uk