The Big 1-3-0

Clara McCafferty Wright ’19 shares a photo from the first Parliament of Owls and Celebration

Today Bryn Mawr celebrated its 130th birthday with one of President Cassidy’s signature “pop-up” events full of cake, plush owls, and music. After my last class of the day, I walked over to the cloisters where the fun was just beginning. With a piece of cake in hand to celebrate this momentous occasion, I looked into the cloisters and couldn’t help but think about the generations of proud Bryn Mawr alumnae/i who have come before me. Throughout the last 130 years, students from all over the world have come to Bryn Mawr, learning how to learn, question, think, and change their world. Along the way, there have no doubt been struggles and challenges, but there has also been fun and adventure. Even deeper, there has been sisterhood and community.

For the college’s 125th birthday, a t-shirt was given out with a bucket list of things every mawrter should do before they graduate. I remember being so jealous of my friends in the Class of 2015 who owned one of them. After some searching, I was able to find a copy of the list online and so I made it into a document of my own. Items on the list include “host a prospective student”, “Visit the Philadelphia Museum of Art”, and “Take a class in the Tri-Co” along with 122 other tasks. I have made a significant dent in the list, but in honor of Bryn Mawr’s 130th birthday, I am going to add five more things I want to do before I leave this beautiful place that has become my second home. This blog’s purpose is to provide a glimpse into the everyday life of a Bryn Mawr student, and I can’t think of a better way to do that than by completing these essential tasks. Follow my blogs throughout the year to see me complete items and tasks off the bucket list and savor my senior and final year here. I can’t wait to share it with you!